Holistic Dentistry can be referred as an alternative form of dentistry. It is also known as “Biologic” or “Biocompatible” dentistry. It focuses more on health and wellness instead of the treatment of disease. This approach to Dentistry encompasses both modern science and knowledge drawn from the world’s great traditions on natural healing. In simple terms, Holistic Dentistry practitioners- dentists of Melbourne CBD and other hospitals deal with treating your mind and spirit and rectifying eating habits and lifestyle, not just teeth. Holistic dentists try their best to remain as natural as possible. For example, they will only use organic fillings instead of mercury ones. Similarly, they will restrict the usage of drugs and antibiotics to the minimum. Patients nowadays realize the harmful effects that conventional methods can have on them, and hence they are inclined to accept the natural and more successful approach.
Holistic dentistry follows several principles and urges its practitioners to do the same. The main principles are:
- Patients need to consume proper nutrient-wise rich food, since that is the first step to having healthy teeth.
- Its practitioners need to have an open mind, and educate themselves in the field of nutrition, not only dentistry.
- Using organic fillings instead of corrosive mercury amalgam fillings is a must. The mercury vapour from those fillings are lethal and can cause severe damage to the human body.
- Roots canals should be avoided as much as possible.
- The doctor should be able to understand and feel the needs and pain of his patient; they must work together keeping the patient’s financial condition and lifestyle in mind.
As holistic dentistry is getting popular day by day, more and more people have started believing in it, and many patients actually prefer to get treated through this method than the normal methods.
Several doctors claim that holistic dentistry is not efficient and does not work in several cases. But dentists at Melbourne CBD and other reputed clinics are a firm believer of this method. Success rate is extremely high in this form of dentistry, and since this also treats their eating habits, mind and soul, chances of another tooth problem in the near future is miniscule.