Temporomandibular joint disorder, TMJ, TMJD or Temporomandibular joint dysfunction whatever you call it but it is necessary to be aware of it. To say the least, it is the disorder that leaves you with pain for almost all the time. In this blog, we will discuss the a to z of TMJ disorder. We will learn what actually TMJ disorder is, how it can cause your problems and how you can prevent it.
What is TMJ Disorder?
The temporomandibular joint is the most complex joint in our body. Since it contains the temporal bone and mandible, this joint is known as Temporomandibular joint. The temporal bone is the base of the skull and mandible is the lower jaw. Both the sides of the TMJ need to work together. This jaw joint meets in the forward of the ear canal. It is the joint that connects jaw bone to the skull.
Symptoms of TMJ
The early symptoms of TMJ, however are usually hard to detect. However, the more advanced TMJ disorder symptoms are the popping and clicking sound in the jaw joint. It causes pain in the jaw joint and the jaw movement controlling muscles. The pain can also be felt in the face, in or around the ears, neck and shoulders. It can also be responsible for a headache.
These are the following symptoms one may feel due to TMJ disorder:
- Discomfort in opening and closing mouth: TMJ helps in the opening and closing of the mouth. However, due to the improper functioning of this joint, it causes trouble while opening and closing of the mouth.
- Problems in chewing: As chewing includes the opening and closing movement of the mouth, TMJ causes discomfort in the following function.
- Facial pain: Temporomandibular joint lies in the face. Disorder in TMJ disorder, therefore, causes pain in the facial bones.
- Headache: A headache is very common in TMJ disorder. It also causes nausea.
- Ear problems: TMD (Temporomandibular joint disorder) is located in front of the ear canal which reduces the hearing ability.
- Eye pain: TMJ disorder also reduces the vision ability. The eyes may also get bulgy and also get sensitive to sunlight.
- Throat discomfort: Throat problems can include coughing, sore throat, difficulty in swallowing, laryngitis.
- Jaw problems
Can TMJ Melbourne happen to you?
The ratio of TMJ disorder is more in females than males. Following are the factors that can cause Temporomandibular disorder.
- Improper chewing habits
- Jaw dislocation
- Jaw injury
- Malocclusion (Improper alignment of the teeth or jaw)
- Poor posture
What to do if you are the victim of TMJ Disorder?
Many times, TMJ may lead to chronic problems. It is necessary to consult your dentist when any of the following symptoms is felt. Also, regular dental visits can spot the likelihood of TMJ. Visit us to know about TMJ in Melbourne.
What are the remedies of TMJ disorder?
Exercises are proven to be beneficial and healthy for TMJ disorder. Physical exercises such as breathing exercises, jaw exercises, facial exercises, body exercises relevant to pain relief in throat and neck may restrict the enhancement of TMD.
Surgery, dental medications, intra-articular injections are some of the dental solutions. Your dentist will suggest you as per your dental condition.
TMJ treatment in Melbourne can help you with proper care. To know more details, you can visit our expert dentists at Holistic Dental.