Today we will learn about the step by step procedure of porcelain veneers in Melbourne. Before further ado, let us get right into it.
1. Pre-planning about the outcome
Wouldn’t you like to have a smile that you want? Porcelain veneers impact in making your teeth and smile structure. So you should be having the equally important role in this collaborative approach.
It is advantageous for the dentist and you as well to be clear about the desirable outcome. Dentists will be able to work on the requirements and you will get a smile you always wanted. Elaborate how you want your teeth to be by showing any pictures or videos.
2. Trimming the tooth
This is the stage where the front layer of the tooth will be trimmed with the exact same thickness of the veneers. Trimming the tooth is irreversible, so maximum care is put in this procedure to guarantee the required amount of tooth is trimmed.
Generally, about .5 to .7 millimeters of tooth enamel layers is removed. However, sometimes, an excessive amount of tooth trimming is necessary.
3. Choosing the shade of your tooth
The shade of your tooth is finalized by the shade guide on the basis of the shade of the adjacent teeth. The porcelain veneer will be prepared accordingly.
For preparing the veneer, there may be one of the following two things.
- Some dentists use the machine available for preparing the tooth for the immediate task. This will allow you to have your veneers in one appointment. In this case, you will not require any temporary veneers on your teeth.
- Dentists organize about the porcelain veneer for your teeth and send it to the lab. In the lab, it will take about 1 or 2 weeks to make the veneers. During this time, you will be given temporary veneers.
4. Applying temporary veneers
As per the desire or necessity, the temporary veneers are applied when the porcelain veneers are sent for the preparation in the lab. Temporary veneers need to be looked after for a week or two till the permanent veneers are fabricated. Your mouth will take some time to adjust with these temporary veneers. There are several points to focus on during this time period.
- Temporary veneers don’t have a gap between them. Therefore, try not to floss or they may fall off.
- It may cause discomfort while eating something severely cold or hot. Avoid such food.
- Avoid eating hard, crunchy or sticky food.
- Consult your dentist at the earliest when temporary veneers fall off or break.
5. The pre-cementation evaluation
As your permanent veneers are fabricated, the temporary veneers will be removed and your dentist will take a few trials to get the best match for you. If there is any change required in the shade or the shape of the permanent veneers, then this is the time to make it. Your dentist will place and remove the veneer again to check the shade or the edge cut. When everything is finalized, then you will reach the stage when veneers are bond onto your tooth.
7. Bonding the permanent porcelain veneers
Rinsing the tooth surface:
Your dentist will first rinse the surface of the tooth before applying the permanent veneers. This will remove the paste and dirt that may cause discomfort in applying the permanent veneers.
Etching and cementing:
Etching is a short process of 15 to 20 seconds which creates the rough enamel surface on the tooth. The etching gel is then cleansed and dried.
The bonding agent is applied on the tooth which helps the veneer bond to the tooth surface. Cementing procedure starts by applying the cement inside the veneer and placing it on the tooth. After the exact placement of the veneer, a curing light is used to strengthen the bond.Your dentist will clean the extras from the mouth such as any cement paste and polish the veneer.
There might be other appointment required to guarantee your comfort. If you are facing any discomfort then you may want to share it with your dentist. However, the minor sensitivity to some food and chewing will be normal for the beginning.
If you have missed our first part then click here.
Your smile makeover is important for you and us. Take one step closer to your bright smile and visit us at ___ for your porcelain veneers in Melbourne. For more information contact us @ __.