It is common to see people having a fear of the dentist. Most people are filled with anxiety when they need to go to the dentist, so they avoid it. However, by doing this, you may have to face serious effect on your dental health in the long term.
A technique called sedation or sleep dentistry has been developed for this. Sedation dentistry is a well-known procedure for those who do not need any kind of anesthetic. General and pediatric dentists study such dentistry to offer a better class of service to their patients.
Here are some benefits of sleep dentistry:
- Patient relaxation: The patients feel relax when they undergo sleep dentistry treatment.
- More comforts: Patients experience more comfort during the procedure, and this means visiting dentists become less unpleasant.
- Controls gag reflex: Anxious patients often trouble dentist during treatment and sedation dentistry makes it harder for the dentist to do their job. Sleep dentistry Melbourne helps in controlling gag reflex of patients.
- Little or no memory of treatment: After sedation, patients are left with little or no memory of treatment, and they do not feel scared by the thought of getting the treatment done.
- Patient cooperation: Dentists meet less resistance from their patients and it makes work easier and successful for them. Sleep dentistry does not usually put patients to sleep, but makes them incapable of responding to verbal or physical stimulation. The drug given makes them calm and relaxed and helps them to suppress their feeling of anxiety and panic.
Sedation drugs are administered in three main ways. They are:
- Orally in liquid or tablet form
- Intravenously through drip connected to the vein
- Inhale through administration of laughing gas
Dentists offer patients all these options to them and many dentists avoid administration of drugs for smaller procedures as it attaches drip and have its own problems for anxious patients. Sleep dentistry is not right for everyone and does not feel pressurised by accepting forms of sedation if you do not feel comfortable.
Some people feel more comfortable talking during the treatment. Find a dentist who is qualified enough and gives you the freedom to choose your experience. If sleep dentistry appeals you more than any other treatment, contact Holistic Dental to get more details.
Get the best and most cost-effective treatment at here. Book an appointment today at one of our 3 locations.